This recipe is part of the Virtual Midsummer Potluck for Peace, hosted by Saghar Setarah of Lab Noon. Check out the links at the bottom of this post for other delicious potluck recipes from other bloggers!
We attended a lot of picnic BBQ potlucks growing up; and if you’ve ever picnicked with Asians you may have discovered we take our BBQs pretty seriously. There may be hamburgers and hotdogs, but it doesn’t stop there. Crockpots with congee, sticks of fish balls, plates of sushi — all par for the course. And of course — lots and lots of noodle dishes.
This is one of my go-to noodle salads for picnics, car trips, or — let’s face it — hot days when you don’t want to spend much time cooking. It takes all of 10 minutes to slap together, and is great on its own or as a base for a full meal (just add some shredded chicken, diced tofu, sliced raw veggies, etc.). If you have a peanut allergy, you can also sub out the peanut butter for tahini and that works great as well! Feel free to switch up the type of noodle you use too — my favorites are Yet-Ca-Mein (white Chinese wheat noodles) and dried shrimp egg noodles (the type you typically see in won ton noodle soup).
Cold Sesame Peanut Noodles
- 8-10 oz. dried Chinese egg or wheat noodles
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter (or tahini, or a combination of the two)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1-2 tsp chili-garlic sauce (more if you like it extra spicy)
- Thinly sliced scallions, chopped cilantro, toasted sesame seeds, and chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients from the rice vinegar to the chili-garlic sauce. Taste and adjust dressing for desired level of sweetness/spiciness.
- Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse under cold water to cool them down completely. Transfer noodles to a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Top with desired garnishes. Served chilled.
More delicious potluck recipes:
- Adventures in Cooking: Strawberry rhubarb pie ice cream sandwiches
- An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Spiced Green Beans with Olive Oil and Tomato
- Brewing Happiness: Healthy Southern Baked Beans
- Cloudy Kitchen: Earl Grey blueberry pie
- Cook Til Delicious: Cold Sesame Peanut Noodles
- Delicious Not Gorgeous: No Mai Fan
- DisplacedHousewife: Strawberry Scone-Cakes With Fresh Orange Blossom Whipped Cream
- Donuts, dresses and dirt: Tahini Pavlovas
- Floating Kitchen: Blistered Green Beans with Apricots and Chive Blossoms
- Ginger & Toasted Sesame: Walnut Bread with Boursin and Prosciutto
- Harvest and Honey: Chasing Summer (drink)
- Hortus Cuisine: Panino with Roasted Peppers, Pesto & Arugula
- On The Plate: Sriracha Scotch Eggs
- Ruby Josephine: Halwa d’Tmar (Moroccan Date-Stuffed Cookies)
- Tasty Seasons: Grilled Mojito Chicken
- Tending the Table: Roasted Cauliflower with Pine Nuts, Parsley and Currants
- TermiNatetor Kitchen: Strawberry Shortcakes with Gluten-Free Yogurt Biscuits & Mint Whipped Cream
- The Little Epicurean: Halo-Halo (Filipino Shave Ice Dessert)
- This Mess Is Ours: Simple Tomato & Avocado Salad
- Twigg studios: roasted beet leek and feta quiche
- Vermilion Roots: Tofu Salad with Spiced Peanut Sauce
- Wood and Spoon: Strawberry Almond Skillet Cake